2012 BATA SYMPOSIUM PROGRAM
Releasing & Reforming:
Art Therapy as Social Action
The Buckeye Art Therapy Association is pleased to announce the 2012 Symposium.
This year the Symposium will begin at 12:15 PM on Friday, September 7, 2012.
BATA is excited to host as our Keynote this year Peace Paper Project, www.peacepaperproject.org, with facilitators Drew Matott, MFA; Margaret Mahan, BA; and Gretchen Miller, ATR-BC. The project utilizes traditional hand papermaking as a means of engaging communities in art practices, which bring people together, broadcast their stories, and transform their fibers into meaningful art pieces. The project operates everywhere from private workshops to public demonstrations in order to perpetuate the art of hand papermaking while adapting to the needs and unique practices of each community, merging the skills of papermaking, bookbinding, printmaking and creative writing to empower collaboration with the host community.
Friday Keynote Lecture: 7:30 – 9:00 PM
Paper Making as Social Action
Drew Mattot, Margaret Mahan, and Gretchen Miller will present on the topic of art as social action, focusing on lecture and visual content related to utilizing papermaking and creative expression as a cathartic process to give meaning, create transformation, and provide empowerment through releasing and reforming fibers into new stories and new beginnings.
Saturday Keynote Workshop: 9:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Expressions of Peace
Workshop participants will create their own reflections and expression for peace on handmade paper flags created from Peace Paper’s recent travels.
The annual membership Luncheon will be held at 12:00 PM, on Saturday. Price included in Saturday and Full Symposium Registration.
Saturday Breakout Sessions begin at 2:15 PM. There will be 2 Sessions featuring 8 presenters. Saturday only fee covers Saturday morning Keynote workshop.
Program and Brochure
BATA MEMBER RATES:
· Workshops offerings require an additional $5.00 material fee and are registered on a first come, first served basis. Space is limited, so please register early.
· Buffet lunch is included in the Saturday and Full Symposium rate.
· Registration deadline is August. After August 11th attendees will need to register on-site. Attendees registering on-site will have a $50.00 surcharge added to their Symposium rate.
· *A copy of your student ID is required if you are registering as a student.
· BATA will honor our member rate to colleagues that document they are a member of another AATA chapter.
· If you have a child or adult with you who is not registered for the Symposium and will be eating lunch on Saturday, you will need to purchase an additional $25.00 meal ticket at the Registration Table.
Please note: Any individual on-site during the Symposium must be a paid registered Symposium attendee.